Mr. Allebach represents clients in the structuring, negotiating and closing of mergers and acquisitions, representing both buyers and sellers in acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and investments by venture capital and private equity firms. He advises a variety of companies on general corporate matters at every stage of development, from start-up ventures to publicly-traded companies, engaged in a wide range of industries, including life sciences, energy, consumer products and retail, industrial manufacturing and distribution, “green” technology development and distribution, financial services and healthcare services.
Mr. Allebach represents individuals in a range of estate planning matters, including estate and tax planning strategies and business succession planning.
Mr. Allebach joined the firm in 2006. At the end of 2011 Mr. Allebach left to become Chief Counsel for the General Electric’s Nuclear Fuels and Services businesses. Mr. Allebach rejoined the firm in 2014.
- Represented a large multi-national company in strategic acquisitions and divestitures in U.S. and abroad, including: the $20 million acquisition of a life sciences company based in China; the $32 million acquisition of a life sciences company based in eastern Europe; the $52 million disposition of a North Carolina based research laboratory.
- Represented a large multi-national company in strategic investments and joint ventures in the U.S. and abroad, including a $15 million controlling investment in a start-up biotechnology company and a $25 million joint venture to operate out of China and Germany.
- Represented a private equity fund in various portfolio company acquisitions and dispositions, including: the $26 million leveraged acquisition of a property management company; the $31 million leveraged acquisition of a manufacturer of spectator structures; the $16 million leveraged acquisition of a medical equipment sales company; the $36 million leveraged acquisition of a manufacturer of quilting machines.
- Represented the U.S. division of a Swiss-based conglomerate in the $15 million acquisition of a U.S. tower field service supplier.
- Represented numerous individuals and family companies in the acquisition and disposition of small businesses, ranging from the sale of a retail store business for $25,000 to the acquisition of a car wash business for over $1 million.
- Represented dozens of individuals and couples with estate planning matters, ranging from individuals with minimal assets to high net worth couples needing sophisticated tax planning.
Professional Activities & Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Business Law Section
- Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Section
- New Hanover County Bar Association
- Contributing drafter, North Carolina Bar Association Business Law Section Forms Project, 2009
- Leadership Wilmington Class of 2010
Community Activities and Affiliations
- Wilmington Area Rebuilding Ministry; Board of Directors, 2011-2012
- Greater Wilmington Chamber of Commerce; Chamber Liaison, 2011
Article, Publications, Speeches
“Small Business, Equity Financing, and the Internet: The Evolution of a Solution?”, Virginia Journal of Law and Technology (1999).